2013-05-10

Widgets

3 For your entertainment...

Squishat | 4:28 PM
This has nothing to do with anything ypp. But I was tagged so.If this were Twitter I'd RT so fast...

Speaking of which... the more research I do into it.. the more it seems people have Twitters, facebook pages, and all sorts of social media derpa herpas for their blogs or whatever derpa herps. Not too keen on that. Orrr.

I'm torn because I know there is some great stuff here (along with the bajillion great things I'm working on simultaneously so they never get done), but then at the same time, I created it with the intent of it just being ours.





The original link 

And then of course as you can see I've been working on this blog a lot. I'm not gonna say that I made all these widgets you see, because I obviously didn't... but I did have to go searching for them, and then modify them to suit the blog without breaking other things :P

I know I said I was going to post more actual "content" instead of screenshots to distract you, but making the blog nicer is in itself rather distracting hahaha. The time I'd have used to write said "content" I used it on making the blog nicer.

And then every day or every other day, I just come up with ideas to this blog better.

Some of my best ideas and creations:
- To implement the clock for Game Time. I personally love it, because no more typing /info for me!

- The search bar. I like my sword icon! Picture a guy holding the sword on the left side and going "charge". That was the idea behind the button anyway. Getting the words "search through Cubelets..." to show and then not show when you click in the box was such an adventure...If only I paid attention during my JS class. I basically learnt it, and then forgot it. But then the "if... then" thing kinda stuck. So that's good.

- Back to top. Didn't realize it was missing until I needed to use it. I still don't really get (well I have some idea of what they do) the share buttons... I've never felt compelled to click any of them on any site.. but I figure that is how Mieu found this after I clicked it for this blog :P

- Label cloud! I have yet to customize it further to make it look truly pretty, but that's because the bg needs to be done first.

Jota helped me with a lot of the Javascript parts and now he's not here, I'm like oh gawd. I have to google even more derps. Because right now one of my ideas requires quite a bit of JS >< I don't know if I can even get it to work properly... but it's kind of addicting trying to figure it out.

He's the one that made the logo (based on my concept) btw, so everyone please thank him! He's also the one that got the video page to work. (Btw, later it stopped working again so I had to modify the JS in it as well. That was a fun day.)

I do realize it's getting to the point that we have quite a lot of widgets and whatnot, so I won't implement many more.

I do want to figure out some more things such as...

Things that may come to the blog:
- Making the blog easier to navigate.. I know some places are still weird to get to.

- How to get a survey thingy to work. I went to surveymonkey for 10 mins and I was like... this is way too tl;dr so I left. Maybe I'll take another stab at it next weekend.

- There's a blogger search widget bar for the wikipedia. I wonder if I can modify that to search the yppedia.(probably just to define the search area)

- Change the colors on the post headings and etc.

- A few people asked for a forum-type thingy.. I personally am not a fan as much because well..we've already got an Illusion one (which no one uses), and then no one wants to remember another password, for something they won't use.

That's why I have the cbox, imo it is sufficient, but maybe not? 
Disqus integration.

- Some of the things Intner says in his GD post regarding crew functionality, for example the calendar idea. Right now the calendar is really lame, it basically sorts posts by date.But I'd like to have one that you can plug in upcoming events... like a real calendar. I also started reading something on it and then tl;dred in the end.

- Delegating more.

A final note, I am so glad that a lot of you are enjoying it so far, even though some days there are no visible changes and I've got absolutely no clue whether someone has been here xD I do hope you continue to enjoy it in the future.

Making this blog better isn't half as fun if I didn't know I had an audience that popped in everyday! So thank you all for reading <3




3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to type that we are popping up and seeing all the fun changes going around^^, so thanks Squish. Even just from when I first joined and started using this blog to now the difference is huge.
    As for future stuff that may come, the defining a search to yppedia thing is something I'd personally like to see, as I need to use it a lot :s.
    One thing I'm having a blonde moment on is getting to this page, it sounds silly right? I just had it bookmarked so I click on it to get here, but after going through some of the blog, I couldn't find my way back, I had to click on my bookmark again to reset. I tried clicking 'Welcome', 'Updates', 'Original Videos+Guides' and 'Just for Fun' just in case I was missing something but I can't get to the main page with the blog updates. Not sure if my laptop's just being derpy, or I am, either is possible :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I removed it from the top bar, you can also click the logo at the top to come back to the main page :D

      Delete
  2. ....There's a 'Home' button at the bottom of every page. Yup, I'm the derp...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!